At St. John the Baptist School, our goal for technology is INTEGRATION. Rather than traditional computer classes, teachers sign up to use the computer lab as part of their curriculum. This authentic experience will help students gain real-world skills that they will use throughout their academic careers.
Skills used in the lab include:
- Word processing using Office 365 and the full versions of Microsoft Word
- Publishing brochures, newsletters, and postcards in Microsoft Publisher
- Creating PowerPoints displaying information they are studying
- Creating online posters using Glogster
- Practicing Math and Grammar skills using IXL and other online games
At times, we may practice typing using TypingWeb.com. This is a free program that is very effective when students practice daily. Please encourage your child to practice typing a few times a week.
Many resources we use require usernames and passwords. This can be frustrating for students and their teachers. One way to safely save usernames and passwords is by saving it online in Office 365–that way, you only have to remember one username and password to find all of them! I like to use Excel online because it lines things up well, but you could use Word, too. Just don’t forget to update it.