Religion Class in November Includes Child Protection Program
Please see the letter about the child protection program, which is taught in all schools in the Archdiocese of Washington.
Here are resources on protecting children:
Parents wishing to discuss the child-protection program should attend the child-protection meeting in the school library from 6:30 to 7:00 pm on Monday, Nov. 21.
SJB Behavior Code Includes Bullying Policy
Did you know SJB has a Guidance & Counseling Page with information on bullying and helpful resources on having hard conversations with children? You can get to the Guidance and Counseling page through the website. You can read the Code of Behavior in the Parent-Student Handbook. The behavior code begins on page 19, and the bullying policy begins on page 23.
A Few Minutes of the Parade....
We Had a Great Turnout for the Halloween Parade
Student Council leaders announce costume contest winners at the annual SJB Halloween Parade on Thursday, Oct. 27.
Thank You, Families, For Supporting Box of Joy
Thank you, as well, to Ms. Ashley Stept, teacher in preschool-3, for bringing the Box of Joy service project to St. John the Baptist. The school collected 166 boxes to bring Christmas joy to needy children.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders
- Please wait until a staff member is present to drop off your children. A staff member is there by 7:45 am.
- Please remember that the school day begins at 8 am, so students should be dropped off before 8 am.
- Please refrain from cutting through the lot after dropping off your child. Thank you for patiently staying in the carpool line all the way to the stop sign.
- Student may be dropped off in front of the church from 7:45 am to 8 am. If you drop off your child in front of the church, please exit by New Hampshire Avenue.
- For drop-off, drivers should come up the hill from Lima Drive, not down the hill from New Hampshire Avenue.
- Thank you, parents, for remembering that the preschool lot is reserved for families with children in preschool. Preschool families may drop off and pick up older siblings at the preschool. Everyone else should use the main lot.
Thank you, Mr. Fry (Patrick 8th, Daniel 7th, Julianne 3rd, William 1st) for installing the new Stop sign.
Picture Makeup Day is Thursday, Nov. 10.
A Little Help?
If you are interested in helping the school, check our volunteer page, A Little Help? It lists ways that the school needs volunteer help from parents.
Parents must be child-protection certified be a chaperone or in-school volunteer. Find out how to be child-protection certified.
Deadline is Dec. 2 for Archdiocesan Tuition Assistance Applications Are Open
Applications for for Archdiocesan tuition assistance for next school year have opened. The application deadline is Friday, Dec. 2.
Please go to the tuition assistance website of the Archdiocese of Washington for the link to apply. Or, log into your TADS account and go to the Financial Aid tab.
Families with children attending Catholic schools in grades K-12 are eligible to apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance.
The Archdiocese awards tuition assistance each March based on the demonstrated financial needs of families applying. Financial need must be demonstrated each year for the annual award.
For the current school year, 41 SJB students have been awarded a total of $42,710 in Archdiocesan tuition assistance. Applications for this year's assistance were completed last October and November.
Tuition assistance is available through the parish and school, as well. This year 24 families have been awarded $28,200 in parish and school assistance.
To be eligible for tuition assistance from the parish and school, families must apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance so that the pastor and principal can evaluate financial need.
Families must use the annual parish verification form to request parish and school tuition assistance. The parish and school will request completion of parish verification forms during re-registration in January. Parish and school awards are made in April and May.
- Tuesday, Nov. 1 Applications Open for New Students
- Tuesday, Nov. 1 9 am All Saints Mass
- Tuesday, Nov. 8 7 pm Diversity Panel Meeting (link to meeting)
- Wednesday, Nov. 9 Parent-Teacher Conferences 3:30-6 pm
- Thursday, Nov. 10 Parent-Teacher Conferences 3:30-7:30 pm
- Friday, Nov. 11 No School -- Veterans Holiday
- Monday, Nov. 21 6:30 pm Child Protection Meeting in Library
- Monday, Nov. 21 7 pm HSA Meeting (agenda in calendar)
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Thursday, Nov. 24 No School -- Thanksgiving Holiday
- Friday, Nov. 25 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 8th Grade High School Placement Test
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 6-7 pm Open House
- Thursday, Dec. 1 7 pm Band Concert
- Saturday, Dec. 3 Breakfast with Santa (8-9:30 & 10:30-12)
The Gold Folder page has news and information about SJB events and activities and is continually updated.
The Principal's Note is more focused on what's happening in school and what's important for school families to know. A new Principal's Note is sent out each week.
See the website for the SJB Covid-19 2022-23 policy page.
Prayers for Frankie Lim
We are praying for Frankie Lim, father of Mrs. Joanne Lim Siew and grandfather of Euna in 4th grade. Mr. Lim passed away on Sunday.
Where Our SJB Families Live
A Closer View