A Few Notes About the Colder Weather
- SJB goes by Montgomery County Public Schools on weather-related closings. Please monitor news outlets when snow or ice is in the forecast. The school will send a text alert and email. If school closes early, there will be no After Care that day. If school closes early, please make arrangements to pick up your children so that the staff can be sent home safely.
- On cold days, children should come to school with warm-weather gear for recess. We will send the children outside to play on most winter days. We will keep them inside if there's any danger of frostbite, if it is raining, if it is unsafe for any reason, or if the recess supervisors have determined the weather to be miserable.
- Please use a marker to write your child's name inside the PE warmup jacket. Students often take off their jackets after they've been running around. Several have been left on the field and are now hanging, without names in them, in the lost and found.
Update Nov. 22: Breakfast with Santa Has Been Cancelled
Buy Tickets for Breakfast with Santa
The Breakfast with Santa team is so grateful for your overwhelming response to our call for volunteers! We are excited to announce that we are moving forward with planning for this SJB tradition to be held on Saturday, December 3rd.
Breakfast with Santa is a longtime SJB Christmas tradition, loved by families and especially children. It is set to take place on the morning of Saturday, Dec. 3, in the SJB gym.
We Are Looking for Families to Deliver Thanksgiving Meals
Thanksgiving meals from each class will be delivered to families in need in the Calverton-Beltsville area on Friday, Nov. 18, at 1 pm.
Thank You, Parents, for Participating in Parent-Teacher Conferences
There was a terrific turnout for parent-teacher conferences after school last Thursday and Friday. Thank you to all of the parents who met with teachers as partners in the education of their children.
- Monday, Nov. 21 6:30 pm Child Protection Meeting in Library
- Monday, Nov. 21 7 pm HSA Meeting (agenda in calendar)
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Thursday, Nov. 24 No School -- Thanksgiving Holiday
- Friday, Nov. 25 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 8th Grade High School Placement Test
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 6-7 pm Open House
- Thursday, Dec. 1 7 pm Band Concert
- Saturday, Dec. 3 Breakfast with Santa (8:30-10 & 10:30-12)
- Thursday, Dec. 8 9 am Mass for Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- Thursday, Dec. 15 Third Thursday Pizza Lunch
- Thursday, Dec. 15 7 pm Christmas Program in Church
- Friday, Dec. 16 11 am Advent Mass and Shower for Baby Jesus
- Afternoon Christmas activities in classrooms
The Gold Folder page has news and information about SJB events and activities and is continually updated.
The Principal's Note is more focused on what's happening in school and what's important for school families to know. A new Principal's Note is sent out each week.
Knights Hold Christmas Poster Contest
Tuition Assistance Applications Open Until Dec. 2
Applications for for Archdiocesan tuition assistance for next school year have opened. The application deadline is Friday, Dec. 2.
Please go to the tuition assistance website of the Archdiocese of Washington for the link to apply. Or, log into your TADS account and go to the Financial Aid tab.
Families with children attending Catholic schools in grades K-12 are eligible to apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance.
The Archdiocese awards tuition assistance each March based on the demonstrated financial needs of families applying. Financial need must be demonstrated each year for the annual award.
For the current school year, 41 SJB students have been awarded a total of $42,710 in Archdiocesan tuition assistance. Applications for this year's assistance were completed last October and November.
Tuition assistance is available through the parish and school, as well. This year 24 families have been awarded $28,200 in parish and school assistance.
To be eligible for tuition assistance from the parish and school, families must apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance so that the pastor and principal can evaluate financial need.
Families must use the annual parish verification form to request parish and school tuition assistance. The parish and school will request completion of parish verification forms during re-registration in January. Parish and school awards are made in April and May.
A Little Help?
The school has launched a new page called A Little Help? with specific, immediate ways that parent volunteers could help the school.
The Home School Association asks parents to consider volunteering opportunities. To volunteer with children, adults must have child-protection certification through the Archdiocese. The volunteer page has information about how to become certified. Please take a look at the H.S.A. Volunteer Interest form and volunteer flyer.
SJB Online Calendar for 2022-23