Mid-Year MAP Testing Has Started
Grades K-8 have started MAP Growth testing in reading and math. Testing will continue through next week. The assessment data will help teachers plan instruction and learning activities.
After using Scantron tests for many years, Archdiocesan schools began using MAP Growth tests in September. After the tests are given again in May, families will receive individual student results at the end of the school year. MAP Growth tests are given three times in a school year: fall, winter, and spring. For more information, visit the NWEA MAP Growth family page.
Thank You For Enrolling Your Children for 2023-24
Thank you, families, for enrolling your children for the 2023-24 school year. By registering at this time, you give us a clear projection of next year's enrollment, which determines staffing, budget, and openings for new applicants. If you have not yet enrolled for the 2023-24 school year, please log into your TADS account and complete enrollment for each child in the school.
Catholic Schools Week is Jan. 30 to Feb. 3
For one week each year, we recognize and celebrate Catholic schools. Here are the the activities and themes planned for Catholic Schools Week from Jan. 30 to Feb. 3:
Monday, January 30 - Student & Family Appreciation
- Student Appreciation Day—No Homework, No tests on Tuesday
- Start of Canned Food Drive, the Catholic Schools Week service project
- Family Community Event
- 8:00-9:30 Pastries with Parents in the Lyon Center
- 8:00-9:30 Students in grades 4-8 give parents tour
Tuesday, January 31 - Academic Excellence
- Roll Out of Bed and Read
- Students Wear PJs to school
- DEAR period in the morning for all at the same time
- Buddy Reading Activities in the afternoon
Wednesday, February 1 - Service
- Black History Month begins
- Short bio on Wilton Gregory at announcements
- Out of Uniform Day
- Food Drive Continues
- Pizza Lunch hosted by 8th grade in the gym
- Sock Hop/Dance in the gym in the afternoon hosted by Student Council
Thursday, February 2 - Catholic Identity
- Black History Month
- Short bio on Thea Bowman at announcements
- Band as usual
- Eucharistic Procession at 1:15
- Mass at 1:45
Friday, February 3 - Spirit
- Black History Month
- Short bio on Augustus Tolton at announcements
- Spirit Wear Day
- Camp St Charles at 10:30 for grades 1-7 in the gym
- Free Throw Contest in the gym at 11:00
- Noon Dismissal
- 6:30 pm Kids Bingo Hosted by Home School Association
After-School Chess is Monday from 3 to 4
Winter Chess begins on Monday, January 23. The chess group will meet in the Large Study, the room across the hall from the school office, from 3 to 4 pm. There are no classes on Feb. 20 and March 20.
Author Fred Bowen Visits SJB
KidsPost columnist and author Fred Bowen visited and spoke with 3rd-4th grade students and 5th-6th grade students on January 20.
Arts & Academics Set for March 14-15
The school will have Arts & Academics presentations on March 14 and 15. The projects will be open for all parents and students to see in the gym on Wednesday, March 15, from 6:30 to 7:30 pm.
Design & Innovation on Display at Cardboard Challenge
Students in grades 5-8 worked together to create all sorts of things out of carboard last Friday. Thank you, Mr. Fry (Patrick 8th, Daniel 7th, Julianne 3rd, William 1st) for hauling off the used cardboard to the recycling center.