Welcome to Parent-Teacher Conferences at SJB
At SJB, parent-teacher conferences take place in person and start after school:
- 3:30 to 6 on Wednesday
- 3:30 to 7:30 on Thursday
Conferences are for parents/guardians of children in Kindergarten through 8th grade. During a scheduled parent conference, child supervision is available across the hall from the school office.
The conference is one aspect of the parent-school partnership in support of the child's learning and formation. In the conference, the teacher will discuss the child's academic progress. The parent has an opportunity to ask questions and share information. The purpose is to support the child's growth.
At SJB, conferences take place after the 1st quarter.
Report cards for the 1st quarter were sent home Tuesday, Nov. 8, with students in envelopes. Parents keep their child's report card and sign and return the envelope to the teacher in the child's book bag.
Students in grades 1-8 receive report cards in November, January, March, and June. Students in preschool and Kindergarten receive progress reports in January and June.
Please call the school office if an issue arises about a conference time.
See the floor plan below to help you find your conference:
There is no school on Friday, Nov. 11. Makeup picture day is Thursday, Nov. 10.
- Tuesday, Nov. 8 7 pm Diversity Panel Meeting (link to meeting)
- Wednesday, Nov. 9 Parent-Teacher Conferences 3:30-6 pm
- Thursday, Nov. 10 Parent-Teacher Conferences 3:30-7:30 pm
- Thursday, Nov. 10 Picture Makeup Day
- Friday, Nov. 11 No School -- Veterans Holiday
- Monday, Nov. 21 6:30 pm Child Protection Meeting in Library
- Monday, Nov. 21 7 pm HSA Meeting (agenda in calendar)
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Thursday, Nov. 24 No School -- Thanksgiving Holiday
- Friday, Nov. 25 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 8th Grade High School Placement Test
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 6-7 pm Open House
- Thursday, Dec. 1 7 pm Band Concert
- Saturday, Dec. 3 Breakfast with Santa (8-9:30 & 10:30-12)
The Gold Folder page has news and information about SJB events and activities and is continually updated.
The Principal's Note is more focused on what's happening in school and what's important for school families to know. A new Principal's Note is sent out each week.
Third Thursday Pizza Order Due Monday
Please remember to get your Nov. 17 pizza order in by Monday, Nov. 14.
Breakfast with Santa: Volunteer and Make It Happen
Breakfast with Santa is a longtime SJB Christmas tradition, loved by families and especially children. It is set to take place on the morning of Saturday, Dec. 3, in the SJB gym.
Breakfast with Santa is an all-volunteer event. For it to happen this year, the parent planners need your help. Please scan this signup flyer to volunteer to help.
A Little Help?
If you are interested in helping the school, check our volunteer page, A Little Help? It lists ways that the school needs volunteer help from parents.
Parents must be child-protection certified be a chaperone or in-school volunteer. Find out how to be child-protection certified.
Archdiocesan Tuition Assistance Application Deadline is Dec. 2
Applications are Open for Archdiocesan tuition assistance, but the Dec. 2 deadline is approaching.
Please go to the tuition assistance website of the Archdiocese of Washington for the link to apply. Or, log into your TADS account and go to the Financial Aid tab.
Families with children attending Catholic schools in grades K-12 are eligible to apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance.
The Archdiocese awards tuition assistance each March based on the demonstrated financial needs of families applying. Financial need must be demonstrated each year for the annual award.
For the current school year, 41 SJB students have been awarded a total of $42,710 in Archdiocesan tuition assistance. Applications for this year's assistance were completed last October and November.
Tuition assistance is available through the parish and school, as well. This year 24 families have been awarded $28,200 in parish and school assistance.
To be eligible for tuition assistance from the parish and school, families must apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance so that the pastor and principal can evaluate financial need.
Families must use the annual parish verification form to request parish and school tuition assistance. The parish and school will request completion of parish verification forms during re-registration in January. Parish and school awards are made in April and May.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders
- Please wait until a staff member is present to drop off your children. A staff member is there by 7:45 am.
- Please remember that the school day begins at 8 am, so students should be dropped off before 8 am.
- Please refrain from cutting through the lot after dropping off your child. Thank you for patiently staying in the carpool line all the way to the stop sign.
- Student may be dropped off in front of the church from 7:45 am to 8 am. If you drop off your child in front of the church, please exit by New Hampshire Avenue.
- For drop-off, drivers should come up the hill from Lima Drive, not down the hill from New Hampshire Avenue.
- Thank you, parents, for remembering that the preschool lot is reserved for families with children in preschool. Preschool families may drop off and pick up older siblings at the preschool. Everyone else should use the main lot.
Thank You for Supporting the Food Drive
The SJB Knights of Columbus and St. Camillus Food Pantry say "thank you" for the school's support for the food drive, which takes place near the Lyon Center from 9 to noon on the 1st & 3rd Saturday of each month.