Monday, March 8 at 6 pm - Next SJB Meeting of the School Advisory Board and Home School Association
Online Meeting Link: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting
Meeting Minutes Monday, February 8 - Lena Maslov
· Greater Giving
· No update
· Virtual Open House went well (Mr. Blomquist reported)
· Specific Intentional Campaign for use of Amazon Smile (including instructions to the Principal’s letter) to help raise school finds
· Food Catering: Panera Bread, Chipotle
· Spiritwear: Multiple Options to be discussed further
· Jeanine and Room parents are discussing virtual happy hours for parents
· Kids are doing ruffles. Need to come with ideas for gifts, etc.
· Action items: Proposals for school advertising via multiple venues including social media
· Action items: Think of Community Events outside for no more than 25 people
· Hallway Tour by Mrs. Irwin- 18 slides showing school hallway with kids’ drawings, projects, writings, poems, etc.
· No updates
· Discussions regarding outside basketball and soccer will be upcoming
· Discussion of the snow days. Discussion revolved around a consistent snow days policy when there are multiple snow days in a row. Learning experience for all.
· The school is doing well in terms of hybrid in-person and distance learning for parents. No sudden retirements or resignations, which is very significant and awesome.
· School continues to practice safe practices related to COVID-19 related protocols.
Additional Comments from Parents:
· Discussion of school’s Black History Month (BHM)-related activities. Mr. Blomquist followed up with a report on 02/09/2021 regarding the school’s information for BHM. Additional diversity subcommittee is in the works.
· Action items from Communications and School Board: Proposals for school advertising via multiple venues including social media
· Action items from the Board and Communications: Think of Community Events outside for no more than 25 people
Meeting Minutes SJB Board Meeting Jan. 11, 2021
· Communications/Public Relations
o Open House is coming up on February 1. Decision is made to post about upcoming Open House on NextDoor neighbor app in addition to regular channels: website, Facebook, Instagram.
o Parents, consider putting the following message on your social media wall to attract your friends and neighbors to attend open house and consider SJB for educational needs:
OPEN HOUSE SAVE THE DATE: 9 am February 1, 2021
Are you looking for a school for your child this coming Fall 2022? Consider Saint John the Baptist (SJB) Catholic School in Silver Spring, MD!
Join us on February 1st, 2021 from 9am-10am to meet (virtually) current SJB parents and students. Nestled on New Hampshire Avenue, this National Blue Ribbon school is an ideal place for families looking for a small close-knit community that provides a sense of belonging, community support, Christian values, leadership/personal development, and high academic standards. The school provides instruction for Pre-K (3 and 4 years) through 8th grade. More information about the SJB community can be found on the school website here: https://www.sjbsilverspring.org/
If you would like to speak with current parents and students, please use the Microsoft Teams link for the meeting on February 1: Click here to join the meeting
o Report was given by Treasurer Sean Chisam
o Decision to approve teacher continuing education reimbursement
o Request report from Mr. Blomquist
· Community Building/Fund Raising
o Promote Amazon Smile among school parents-consider posting in the Principal Newsletter periodic monthly or bi-monthly reminders and Golden Folder.
o Catholic Schools Week is Feb 1-4. Organize students/parents/teachers to write or to record a brief video (2-5 sentences) what it means to be a student/parent of a student/teacher at a Catholic School.
o Leaning against having auction this year but continuing with Greater Giving contract for fundraising services. Auction discussion continuing.
o Reaching out to Alumni for creation and rollout of Annual Giving Fund.
o Bingo is being brainstormed in terms of logistics as Montgomery county wants a permit for any monetary price (e.g., even a cupcake).
o Additional ideas for virtual community building: Virtual Talent Show, Awards and Celebrations Ceremony, Virtual Escape Room.
o Brainstorm additional virtual events: parents your ideas are welcome! Please submit additional ideas to HSA President Jessie Fitzgerald.
· Washington Archdiocese
· Faculty Report
o The entire SJB Faculty is very thankful for kind words and generous gifts during Holiday Season. Mrs. Irwin reported that teachers had tears of joy and appreciation.
· Homework Survey
o Results of the homework survey were shared with SJB parents.
o Bottom line: A majority of parents would like a limited increase in meaningful homework.
· Guidance Counseling
o Mrs. May to find a way to resume guidance counseling with students.
o Parents asked if the school would facilitate student conversations about recent political events as they concern and affect students in different ways.
o PE for distance learners: Some parents want SJB organized PE classes to include distance learners. The school will continue to look for ways to include distance learners but not if it means sacrificing physical activity
Form for Submitting Question in Advance of the Meeting
SJB School Advisory Board
Mary Lombardo (Finance)
Roberta Gambale (Finance)
Merianne Spencer (Communications/Marketing)
Yelena Maslov (Communications/Marketing)
Sean Chisam (Treasurer)
Jessica Fitzgerald (Home-School Association)
Jeanine Regan (Home-School Association)
Elisabeth Chakmakian-Lodge (Home-School Association)
Jeff Vinson (Pastoral Council Representative)
Anne Irwin (Faculty Representative)
Kathleen Morris (Faculty Representative)
Brian Blomquist (Principal)
Father David Brault (Pastor)
The Home-School Association plans and coordinates community-building and fundraising activities and events for the benefit of the school.
The School Advisory Board sets fundraising goals.
Meeting dates and times can be found on the online school calendar.
Meetings are typically the second Monday of the month at 6 pm.
Online meeting invitations can be found on the calendar.
The board follows a meeting agenda. During the open forum portion of the meeting, the school addresses questions that were submitted online prior to the start of the meeting.
Does the School Board have by-laws?
The SJB school board by-laws are based on the guidelines offered by the Archdiocese. Unlike the previous H.S.A. by-laws, the school board by-laws may be amended by a vote of a majority of board members.