To volunteer or work with children, adults must be Virtus-certified in the Archdiocese of Washington Child-Protection Program.
Steps for New Volunteers
How to Get Child-Protection Certification
- Create an account on Virtus
- Go to Training and Live Training on the Virtus website and select "pre-register for an upcoming live training session" and then register to attend a child-protection training session.
- Contact Martha Kerley, parish child protection coordinator, and schedule a date and time to give Mrs. Kerley a completed volunteer application and copies of two government id's, such as driver's license and passport. Phone: 301-622-1122 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make an appointment with one of the fingerprinting centers on this list to get fingerprinted. The drive to American Identity Solutions is less than 10 minutes from SJB.
- Bring two government identification documents* and the LiveScan registration form to the fingerprinting center. Request a full scan for the state and FBI.
- Notify Martha Kerley of the location and date of your fingerprinting so that Mrs. Kerley can track the background check.
- Attend the child-protection workshop: Protecting God’s Children for Adults. If you attend a live session, remember to sign in when you arrive and pick up the Child Protection Policy Booklet before you leave.
- Bring the signed Acknowledgment Form from the back page of the Child Protection Policy Booklet to Martha Kerley at SJB***.
What if I am already certified?
If you were certified with a fingerprint-background check, your certification is complete. Volunteers certified with just an electronic background check must be fingerprinted. If you are unsure, contact Mrs. Kerley.
Do field trip chaperones need to be certified?
Yes, chaperones must be Virtus-certified. Certification is mandatory for any adult to volunteer in a school-related activity with children present.
I went through a fingerprint-background check for my job. Can the Archdiocese use the clearance I've already received?
The Archdiocese requires independent completion of a criminal-background check for child-protection certification. Your clearance for work doesn't apply to ADW child-protection certification.
The ADW child-protection page has more information.
Permission for Event at SJB
If you would like to have an event at SJB, this form must be completed and submitted to the SJB Parish Office... and to the school principal if the event is school-related.